RULE 4- REGISTERED PREFIXES
A registered prefix is a name, word, letter, or combinations of these, preceding a name, recorded with the Registry and used exclusively by the owners of Morgan horses for the purpose of distinguishing Morgans bred by them from those of other Morgan breeders.
- A. A prefix may be recorded with the Registry providing:
- 1. The word(s) selected as a proposed prefix cannot be the complete name of a registered Morgan horse that has lived in the last fifty years.
- 2. The word(s) selected as a proposed prefix cannot be the complete name of a registered Morgan horse that has registered offspring.
- 3. The prefix applicant shall not have another registered prefix on record with the Registry.
- 4. The Prefix Application has been correctly completed and submitted with the appropriate fee.
- 5. The Registry does not deem the prefix to be confusingly similar to a name or prefix previously recorded or otherwise unsuitable.
- B. A name, word, letter, or combination of these, preceding a name, not recorded as a prefix with the Registry, may be used by other breeders, until registered for the exclusive use of one breeder.
- C. A registered prefix can only be used by the recorded owner of that prefix. The recorded owner of a prefix may grant permission, in writing and on file with the Registry, to designated person(s) to allow use of that prefix.